Student Health Coverage

Students can enroll in Affordable Care Act health plans.

Enroll Now

Students can enroll in Affordable Care Act (ACA) health plans.

Different rules apply based on your age and whether or not someone claims you as a dependent.

You're a dependent | Under the age of 26 | Live in the same state as your parents

You can be included on your parent’s application. Your parent can add you during Open Enrollment (or during a Special Enrollment Period, if they qualify). Losing a student health plan may qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period (SEP) where your parent can enroll you outside Open Enrollment.

You're a dependent | Under the age of 26 | Living in a different state from your parents

You have two options:

  • Apply for coverage with your parent or stay on their ACA plan. Before you enroll or decide to stay on a parent’s plan, be sure to read the plan’s coverage documents and review the provider network carefully so you know how the plan covers care delivered in the state you go to school.
  • Apply yourself in the state you go to school. You may want to do this to enroll in a plan that better meets your needs in the state you go to school. Even though you are enrolling individually, there are some things to know:
    • You’ll still be included in your parent’s tax household, even though you’re applying separately. They’ll fill out or update their application and state that you don’t need health coverage. Your income will still be counted because marketplace savings are based on expected income for all tax household members, not just the ones who need insurance.
    • When you fill out your own separate application, note that your parents and the other members of their tax household don’t need health coverage. But you’ll include their income on your application.
    • The cost of both your plan and your parent’s plan may be reduced with a premium tax credit. The extra savings will be based on the whole household’s income, not just yours.
    • When you move to or from the place you live and go to school, you may be eligible for a Special Enrollment Period (SEP) allowing you to enroll outside the yearly Open Enrollment Period.

You're a dependent | 26 or older

You have the same options as students under age 26. But if you apply with your parents, you may be required to choose a separate plan because you’re 26 or older.

No one claims you as a dependent

  • If you live separately from your parents (whether in the same state or a different one), fill out your own separate application. Your savings will be based on only your income, not your parent’s.
  • If you live with a parent,  You should apply on your own separate application. But if you’re under 21, you may need to provide information about your parents and their income to complete the application.

Finding the Right Student Health Coverage

Healthcare isn’t one size fits all. That’s why it is important to get the plan that is the best fit for you.

Our Affordable Care Act (ACA)-licensed insurance benefits experts take the time to listen to what’s important to you.  Then we look for affordable plans available in your area that meet those unique medical and lifestyle needs. We also check to see if you are eligible for tax credits to lower your monthly costs.

And we are here for you year-round, to answer your insurance questions and advocate on your behalf. Often you can speak with the same expert who enrolled you in your plan.

Call now to find a plan that fits your needs